WhereTo is a business travel startup from San Francisco that evolved into an agile development and design studio within the Flight Centre Travel Group. We build travel solutions used by some of the largest companies on the planet - we have just one goal: making business travel better for everybody.
WhereTo provides an AI-powered travel platform for corporate travel. Their platform uses machine learning algorithms to recommend personalized travel options based on a traveler's preferences, company policies, and budget. WhereTo's technology also allows for real-time travel tracking, reporting, and cost analysis, enabling companies to optimize their travel programs and reduce costs.
To learn more about WhereTo click HERE
About The Opportunity
We are looking for a passionate, motivated and skilled Back End Engineer to join our growing Engineering team within the Lab in Barcelona. This is an exciting opportunity to be an integral part of the team leading the return to travel and work with some of the largest and most powerful travel programs in the world. We are looking for a self-motivated team player who is also willing to mentor others and contribute to our culture of engineering and operational excellence
- As a Back-End Engineer with WhereTo, you will be responsible for creating high quality user-focused software while working in a cross-disciplinary fast-moving team.
- You will partner with product-leaders to shape the future of the platform.
- You will help define, implement, and reinforce architectural and implementation best practices
- You will build pipelines that handle billions of transactions per day
Experience & Qualifications
- 6+ years of professional software development experience (internships and personal projects not included)
- 2+ years experience with Node.js
- Experience with building and architecting high quality software from scratch
- Strong understanding of asynchronous I/O
- Excellent software architecture skills and a passion for maintainable, organized code
- Experienced with AWS, EC3, S3, RDS, CloudFront/CDNs
- Expert with Linux, Ubuntu/Debian (Bash scripting a plus)
- Experience with CI platforms (Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis, etc)
- Experience with REST-based Web Service API implementation
- Experience with MySQL/PostgreSQL (or similar) and understanding of how they work internally
- Experience with Algorithms and Data Structures
- Experience with NoSQL databases is desirable (i.e MongoDB, Cassandra)
- Experience with memory cache systems (Redis, Memcached)
- Experience with other systems programming languages is a bonus (Go, C/C++, Rust, etc), and/or scripting languages (Python) and/or JVM-based languages (Scala, Java, Groovy)
- Experience with pure functional programming and/or functional programming libraries and concepts is a bonus (Haskell, Scala, F#, Ramda, Lo-Dash FP, etc)
- Strong experience in designing and implementing highly horizontally-scalable architecture
- Strong understanding of Git fundamentals
As well as being a fun company to work :
Our fantastic offices are located in the heart of Barcelona, at Plaça Catalunya
- The opportunity to join our free language lessons (English, French, Spanish or Catalan)
- An attractive package: health insurance
- 25 days off/year + 5 compensation days + reduced time during summer + bank holidays
- Flexible working-time
- Table tennis on the terrace, a kitchen area with free snacks, fresh fruits and drinks
The opportunity to work with an international and talented team
Several activities organised by the ambassadors!
We truly think your personality is important, so bring it on!